Monday, July 13, 2015

Grace Davis Sanger and William Sanger

Kathy Jones Ohlrich and I recently returned from a trip to England, Scotland, and Ireland to find some of the places where our ancestors lived.  It was a very satisfying trip for me.  It was sobering to think that I was in the towns and on the streets where they had lived.  We found some houses where some of them had lived and churches where they worshipped God with their families.

We started in a very small, quaint town called Tisbury which has a population of about 1600 people.  It's in England about a 2 hour drive southwest from London.  Tisbury is marked by the red pindrop on the map.


It's quite close to Stonehenge.  You may have heard of this curious rock formation which is said to have been built about 3000 BC.  We saw it from the road but didn't stop.

Graphic credit: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/Stonehenge2007_07_30.jpg


Tisbury is the town where your 7th great grandmother, Grace Davis Sanger, and 7th great grandfather, William Sanger, were born and were married.  Grace was born in 1723 and William was born in 1725.  They were married in the same church in 1749.

Here is a picture of their church, The Church of England in Tisbury:


Here is a picture of the christening font where they would have been christened as infants:

As I looked at this font, it occurred to me that I was in the place where Grace was baptized the first time, and I was with her the second time she was baptized in the Salt Lake Temple on November 14, 2013.  That was a very powerful experience for me and I feel as if I somehow know Grandma Grace because of that overwhelming experience that we shared.  I can't wait to meet her in the next life!



Here's a picture of the countryside surrounding Tisbury:



Here's a picture of the bed and breakfast where we stayed near Tisbury.  It's called Marshwood Farm.  The house was originally a bailiff's house.  A bailiff was the man who managed the estate for the rich landowner.  It's now part of a working farm.  I chose it because the house existed in the community about the same time that Grace and William would have been living nearby.  Plus, it's more charming than all get-out!


More to come on our adventures!  This trip has made me feel like I know more about and feel closer to some of my ancestors because I have seen where they lived and worshipped.

No comments:

Post a Comment